The first Fee-Free Day of 2012 occurs this weekend, with free admission to all national parks. With mild weather predicted across much of the United States, areas of parks that would not normally be accessible can be reached, making for a sunny and dry Martin Luther King Holiday Weekend to visit the parks.
Several communities and businesses in and around the national parks are offering special offers and discounts on the weekend. Though, with fewer park facilities and services open in winter, they are not as widespread as found later in the year. Nonetheless, check with local destination marketing organizations for deals and enjoy these Fee-Free Days. Fee-Free Days in 2012 include:
- January 14-16 – Martin Luther King Jr. weekend
- April 21-29 – National Park Week
- June 9 – Get Outdoors Day
- September 29 – National Public Lands Day
- November 10-12 – Veterans Day weekend
Here’s some of what’s being written about Fee-Free Days: